Skip to main content

240. KNOW WHO YOU ARE (1)




An ancient Greek philosopher once said: translated into English "Know who you are", translated into French "Connais-toi toi-même". Having followed the classics at College I was drilled into this way of thinking in my teens in France in the 50s and early 60s. I wrote a diary trying to see through the lines who I was. I sent my handwriting to a graphologist, a would-be science in vogue at the time, in order to hear what they had to say about who I was. And then at 19 I hit the road! There in the action I quickly had to find out who I was. Now in my 70s I think I know. I won't paraphrase another Greek philosopher by saying: I know I don't know. I do know who I am and I can predict my reactions to various situations and people.

According to the European zodiac I come under the Aries sign. Believe or don't believe. I don't regard this as an act of faith. Simply facts you can observe. A theory to be confirmed or not. Take it or leave it. The thing is that the moon has a lot of influence on what happens on the surface of the Blue planet. Why couldn't stars have some influence on human babies at their birth? In any case I recognise myself in the description of the personality of an Aries woman. It goes like this:

"The Aries woman is typically confident, fiery, bold, spontaneous and independent. Very modern and self reliant she is often an inspiration to other women.

Often highly motivated and ambitious this isn't a woman who takes no for an answer, at least not for long! She will typically make a good living, though probably isn't the best at saving the money she makes, instead preferring to enjoy it as it arrives.

In touch with her inner child, on the plus side she tends to be very fun loving and adventurous, and on the negative she can be very sulky if she doesn't get her own way or is ignored. She tends to be very competitive, but unlike some signs also has a strong sense of fair play - she wants to win for herself; to prove to the world she could do it, and isn't interested in deceit or cheating. She hates to be bossed around, or feel trapped.

Aries is a mixture of fearless warrior and undisciplined child, and this is one of the easiest signs to understand. These are action people, extroverted and assertive. They want to be in charge, the boss, the hunter, the instigator. Uncomplicated, bold, aggressive and impulsive. Sometimes they are selfish, insensitive, domineering, blunt, outspoken and impatient. They're never afraid of taking a risk. Lacking in self control they more than compensate in resilience - this is one tough cookie, who will live life to the fullest.

As to relationships, she tends to be either totally into one, or not interested, often there's no middle ground. She's outgoing and can be somewhat flirtatious in a fun and challenging way. The men of other fire signs tend to find this especially hard to resist."

"You are an Aries if you were born between March 21st and April 20th. In a couple of words, the Aries woman personality is energetic and passionate. You will rarely find an Aries woman who is worn out or that has no energy to her.

Aries women live to do things. They wonít want to settle for sitting on the sofa all day. The Aries woman personality traits show she would much rather get up and do something with her day.

The Aries lady is likely to wake up early in the morning in her older years to get her day started. She wants to be productive and get her goals done, and she canít rightly do this if she is sitting around in bed all day.

The Aries woman traits needs her independence if she is to be happy. An Aries woman isnít one to be tied down. If she is committed to anything, itís going to be her career.

While the Aries woman doesnít love the idea of saving money, she will at times because she knows that itís always a good idea to have a financial safety net in place. The Aries female will want a job that she can see herself leading in.

The Aries woman characteristics show she won't want to settle for a simple retail or fast-food job. She would much rather have a job that put her in a position of power. To put it simply, the Aries woman wants to be the boss. This idea is especially attractive to the Aries because when you're the boss you get to make the rules.

She doesnít want to be told what to do by superiors, she wants to be the superior who tells people what to do. Also, a job with a high level of responsibility will pay well. And with a decent paycheck every couple of weeks the Aries woman doesnít need to worry about depending on anyone else for money.

The Aries woman personality traits show she is loyal to her friends and family. Although she may not want to be committed to a romantic relationship, she doesnít mind being committed to her friends and family. Part of the reason that the Aries woman works so hard is to impress the people that she cares about.

While the Aries girl does not need approval to do what she wants, it can still help to boost her self-esteem. The Aries womanís self-esteem is rarely higher than when her family is proud of her.

The Aries woman trait shows she loves her friends, and will do whatever she can to help them, but she will also help to start an exciting adventure or a party. The Aries woman wants to be loved for her skills, as well as her exciting lifestyle.

Since the Aries woman will do whatever it takes to keep herself moving, she is prone to be rather impulsive, even on a daily basis. Her ideas are flowing constantly through her mind.

And when an exceptionally good thought passes through her head she is likely to act on it as soon as possible. This can lead the Aries woman to be more rash than some of the other zodiac signs.

But this also adds to the Aries woman's exciting lifestyle. The Aries woman traits: she is one to take chances. She's not afraid of a little risk in life. In fact, she doesn't see the point of life without a little risk.

The Aries woman personality doesn't want to be with someone who can't match her enthusiasm for life. She will look for a partner who can be as intense and passionate as she is. The Aries woman characteristics shows she is more likely to have flings and one night stands than some of the other star signs.

The Ram lady will want excitement in her life, more than she needs commitment. Anyone who gets into a romantic relationship with an Aries woman should be prepared for a wild ride. The Aries woman is likely to take her partner on adventure-like dates and be wild in the bedroom as well."

(copied from websites on the net)

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

250. MY ESSAY IN ETHNOLOGY

When I say that I studied social ethnology, most people don't know what I'm talking about. So to illustrate what a post-graduate student did at the University of Michigan in this science within the department of Anthropology, here is the copy of my essay written in November 1980 for my professor of course 501 of that year.

 The title is THE POWER GAME AT THE MICRO-LEVEL OF TALE SOCIETY.

The study was based on ethnographic data published by Meyer Fortes who was an ethnologist in the 1940s in Ghana. The exercise was to use his data from his observation in the field to analyse what it meant in terms of "power game". It was to show us that a good ethnographer's job consisted of taking down every detail of his observations, even if it did not make sense to him at the time. The ethnologist can then trust the ethnographer's findings in order to analyse them and make sense with them. The ethnographer and the ethnologist are most of the time the one and same person. …

237. Wisdom

A whole year now since I posted anything on this blog!




I am currently reading The Seven Pillars of Wisdom by T.E. Lawrence in an attempt to view the background of the current hatred between East and West following the attacks on Paris lately. I borrowed the French version of the book written by Lawrence at the end of the First World War. It may sound odd but I am indeed finding the roots of the problem there.

In any case I greatly enjoy reading this French translation by Eric Chedaille, éditions Phébus 2009. It is fluid and elegant. I am sure that Lawrence would have liked it too!  The English original edition for the translation was as follows:

T. E. Lawrence. 
Seven Pillars of Wisdom The complete 1922 "Oxford" text First published for general circulation by J. and N. Wilson Fordingbridge, Hampshire, 2004 Project-managed by Book Production Consultants PLC, Cambridge

I find Lawrence full of philosophy and humor.  It also brings me back to my own time in the Middle East when I was 19 …

249. A car, a bicycle and a dog

The year 2014 is a landmark in my very ordinary life. 
I had a car, a Ford Mondeo Ghia, running on diesel. I had driven it very happily to Germany, to Scotland and to various places in France. It had reached past 200 K km mileage and needed some fixing. I forgot what it was, nothing too bad, it could still pass the mandatory regular registration. My mechanic told me he would not do it. In any case I didn't have the money to have it done. So, I left it parked on the village square for a long time hoping to find the money and another mechanic for it. After a year I was asked to move it out as there was going to be a village fair on the square. Fair enough. Some friendly neighbor helped me start it and I drove it 5 km away to the other village where I have my garden and a barn. My idea was to store it inside the barn pending better days when I would get it fixed. I judged that the engine, if not the rusty body, could still be useful for something. However, as I couldn't open the b…